Sunday, November 14, 2010

Another first

Today I experienced another first time, my first Thai massage. Nicola's has been raving about them since I arrived, but somehow it hasn't happened until today. We took a walk down the road (literally less than 200m, massage parlours on every corner in this place) and it's not even expensive, 200baht for an hour. But boy she works your body hard! And to be honest, in the beginning I felt like it was a bit invasive. I mean, she twists and turns you in all different ways and that's great, but to do that you have to become quite intimate withe the lady. She's nothing but professional though, and she did a great job. I think it was more of a workout for her than for me!

In other news, school's plodding along nicely. Nicola and I were discussing a trip to Chiang Mai (up north) for Loy Krathong festival next weekend, but my school put paid to that idea. We're having a big celebration at school and all the teachers are expected to attend. Even more than that, we're expected to wear traditonal Thai dress, which is going to be very interesting. I don't really mind so much, as it should be good.
Loy Krathong is a festival when Thai people say thank you to the God of Water for what she gives them, and also to apologise for wasting water so much. You make what's called a krathong, a small floating device with a candle and flowers, and you light it and loy/float it down any body of water. There's a big canal in front of my school and that's where the ceremony will be taking place. It's clearly very important to the owner of my school, as they've built a jetty and put in a fountain en alles. I thought this was normal Thai practice but some of the other teachers who have worked at other schools here before said that this is the first time they've seen such a big deal made out of it. I wonder why?
Anyway it should be fun.

The biggest news I've left until last: In exactly 19 days mine own Kassandra will be here in Krungthep (Thai word for Bangkok) and working at my school, and a whole 9 days later Tyron will be here too. I simply cannot wait!! I've been trying to plan a nice December, but haven't wrapped my head around it yet. So excited!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you can walk to a massage parlour and have it done cheaply!!!

    Enjoy the festival and also apologise on behalf of South Africans for how we waste water over here.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy days with happy people. Enjoy my wife!

    ReplyDelete